A Beet & Grapefruit Salad is delicious anytime, but especially nice at this time of year when citrus fruits are in season. In this salad, I combined sweet roasted beets and tart grapefruit. Toasty walnuts and blue cheese are perfect complements.
This beet salad is perfect for packed lunches, and a lovely starter for a wintery roast meal. Winter just won't let go of us here. We live in the one part of Canada, where winters are usually fairly mild and short. But not this winter. The snow just keeps coming, with no end in sight. I think most everybody has had enough winter by now.
That's why I love citrus fruits. They have a sunny flavour that just brightens up a dreary winter day. They even look like sunshine. And they come from sunny places, so maybe they bring a little of that warm sun with them, at least the essence of it. We especially love the sweet tartness of grapefruit, my favourite being the pinks. We've also been getting our fill of navel, Valencia, and blood oranges. And lemons and limes are always in the fridge, year round.
When we can't get seasonal fruit locally, we can at least get in season fruit from somewhere, right? The beets, on the other hand, are local and organically grown right here. Beets, like other root vegetables, keep well, with is a blessing at this time of year.
I had some blood oranges, so I used them in this beet salad along with the grapefruit. But regular oranges would be even better, for a more colourful salad. Use those if you have them, but the salad is so good either way.
I know that not everyone is a fan of blue cheese, so feel free to swap it for feta if you aren't. It will be just as delicious. Or you can leave out the cheese altogether to make this a vegan salad.
If you're still hungry for beet salads, you may want to check out Wild Rice and Roasted Beet Salad.
Make this Beet & Grapefruit Salad
Beets & Grapefruit are vibrant and delicious together in this nutritious, tasty salad.
- *Roasted Beets
- 4 medium beets, peeled and cubed
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 large grapefruit, peeled, sectioned, with pith removed
- 2 oranges, peeled, sectioned, with pith removed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp course salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Line a baking sheet with foil, twice the size of the pan.
- Put cubed beets and shallots in middle of foil.
- Spinkle beets with olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper and toss with hands to combine
- Wrap ends of foil over the beets and fold to make a package
- Roast until beets are fork tender, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven, open foil, and allow to cool
- In a bowl, combine beets, grapefruit and orange segments
- Whisk together olive oil, cider vinegar, and salt. Pour over salad and toss to coat
- Add walnuts and blue cheese and gently combine
- Refrigerate for about an hour
- top with green onions for serving
Most of the time allotted for this recipe is the roasting time for the beets. You can roast the beets anytime and keep in the fridge until you want to make this salad; or, use leftover beets. If you or someone you are serving has a nut allergy, you can leave out the nuts. The slightly bitter crunch is what they bring, so if you can, substitue arugula, or radicchio.