Chili Chocolate Brownies are a deliciously spicy treat. When you combine chocolate with a subtle hint of chili heat, the result is just pure divine. And, chili and chocolate are a perfect pair for Valentines Day, or any day. These Chili Chocolate Brownies bring both chili heat and silky chocolate together in the most delicious and beautiful way.
Who doesn't love Brownies? The only debate for me, with brownies, is whether you prefer them to be light and cakey, or would rather have them dense and fudgy? While I wouldn't say no to either, I do prefer the fudgy version. These chili chocolate brownies are chewy, fudgy, and yes, just a little spicy, too. Which is the very best part. You can have brownies any day. But brownies, infused with some spicy chili heat? Not every day, right?
These dense and fudgy chili chocolate brownies are very well suited to the addition of a bit of subtle heat, in the form of some hot chili pepper. The combo of chili and chocolate is a delightful surprise. Although the spiciness is subtle, it's definitely there, lurking quietly in the background, taking a back seat to the intense chocolate flavour, but complementing it beautifully.
I didn't add any nuts to this recipe because I wanted it to be all about the chocolate chili combo. I also kept the spicy peppers very subtle. When I make these, I personally use double the heat, but I'm keeping this recipe tame for those of you who aren't spicy, so try more spice if you dare.
This is an adult brownie, probably not suited to most kids, but hey, maybe your children are chili aficionados (I do know some that are!). If so let them at it, served with ice cream or a glass of cold milk.
- 6 oz good quality unsweetened dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment, allowing some overhang on two sides.
- In a double boiler over simmering water, or in the microwave, melt chocolate with butter, stirring until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together eggs and sugar, then add cocoa powder, cayenne, and crushed chili. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in the cooled chocolate/butter mixture until smooth.
- Fold in flour and salt until just combined.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake approximately 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a just a few crumbs.
- Transfer to a rack to cool completely. When cool, use the parchment to remove from pan. Cut into 2 inch squares.