Spiced Nuts are delicious snacks, and they also make great gifts. Edible, homemade gifts are always universally welcomed. I love to have these spicy snacks on hand to put out when there is a party or gathering. They're perfect as a coffee table offering with cocktails or wine & cheese. Nibbling on nuts will help stave off your guests hunger while you finish cooking dinner. Just be sure to find out if there are any allergies when gifting, or serving nuts, of course.
And, a bonus. People who eat nuts live longer. This is according to a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine which monitored 120,000 people over 30 years. The potential for a longer life is one good reason for giving nuts to the people you love as holiday or hostess gifts. Nuts are high in protein and heart healthy fats.
These Chili Lime Spiced Nuts are delicious and festive. And best of all, they are crazy easy to make. It will only take a couple of minutes to toss the ingredients together.
You can use any combination of nuts, peanuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, brazil, etc. Nuts can be expensive, but if you buy them at a bulk store, it's much more affordable. Using a higher proportion of peanuts will also make this less expensive.
If you are using salted nuts, eliminate the salt in the recipe. And you can use pre roasted nuts to save time.
- 4.5 cups roasted mixed nuts
- grated zest of two limes
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 Tsp dried chili flakes
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large pot, combine all ingredients except nuts and stir over medium low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the nuts and toss to coat with seasonings.
- Divide the seasoned nuts between the two baking sheets, and spread evenly in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, watching carefully to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Pack into mason jars and store in the fridge.