I'm a really big fan of easy one pan meals, and this Rosemary Skillet Chicken is one of my favourites to make. Chicken thighs are full of flavour and stay juicer than breasts, plus they're economical, too.
Once in a while I enjoy losing myself in the kitchen creating an elaborate dish. I sometimes find it therapeutic to put in the effort required to create something amazing, especially when there are hungry people waiting to appreciate the end result. But that's only once in a while. I don't need therapy every day. Most days I like to keep things simple. And iff your ingredients are fresh, simple will make them them shine as the stars of the dish. And simple is less work.
This quick and easy skillet chicken is a delicious example of simplicity, using just fresh rosemary, lemon, and garlic to create a pan full of juicy chicken and crisp potatoes. There is also an optional touch of heat in the form of a pinch of red pepper flakes. Going from the stove top to the oven in one pan, this Rosemary Skillet Chicken is ready in 30 minutes.
You can use chicken breasts instead of thighs, or chicken pieces. A side of steamed green beans or brocolli is a perfect accompaniment. Serves 4
Rosemary Skillet Chicken
- 1 pound small red skinned potatoes, halved
- 2 tsp course sea or Kosher salt
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice of 2 lemons, reserving the squeezed halves
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Preheat oven to 450. Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water until just tender. Drain, shaking in a colander to rough the potatoes up. Set aside.
- Put salt, rosemary leaves, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a food processor or using a mortar and pestle, process into a paste. Add the juice of one lemon and the olive oil to combine.
- Heat a 12" oven safe non-stick skillet (such as this one Circulon® Prime Collection ) or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. (If using cast iron, add a tbsp of olive oil). Add the chicken and pour the rosemary/lemon mixture over it, turning to coat. Brown chicken, about 3 minutes on each side.
- Add potatoes to the skillet, and toss them around until they start to turn golden. Squeeze the remaining lemon over the chicken and potatoes. Add the rosemary sprigs and the squeezed lemon halves to the skillet.
- Transfer skillet to the oven and roast until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are nicely browned, about 15 minutes.