This Strawberry Kale Salad is a simple but delicious salad. I must be honest here, though. I'm not a huge fan of raw kale. I know that's it's insanely healthy. But somehow, eating kale has always felt, to me, like chewing grass. And I am one of the least picky eaters that I know. Especially when it comes to fresh and healthy produce.
I want to like kale, I really do. It's so incredibly good for me. So I keep trying new things with it. To my surprise, kale can be delicious if it's treated right. While I find that adding kale to a smoothie overpowers all the other ingredients, I can compliment the bitter green, in your face taste with something sweet, tart, or spicy to get something yummy. Like this strawberry kale salad. The strawberries and peppers add sweetness and crunch, while the walnuts give it, well, nutty-ness.
And this sweet and sour dressing of lemon and honey takes kale to a new level for me. This salad is bursting with freshness and flavour, and the kale, while holding its own, does not overwhelm. Cutting the kale into very small pieces really helps to make it more palatable for me, too. So I don't feel like I'm chewing forever.
Because kale is such a sturdy green, this strawberry kale salad holds up really well to being dressed and left in the fridge, or packed along for a picnic or lunch at work.
With kale being one of the most nutritious foods on the planet, I might just be changing my mind about kale after all. Do I love it? I won't go that far, but I'm thinking it that maybe it can be in my life.
You can also check out another strawberry salad with this Strawberry Caprese Salad
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 bunch kale, removed from stem & chopped quite small (bite sized) about 2 cups
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into short strips
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts, roughly chopped
- feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- Toast walnuts over low heat in a non stick pan for about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally, making sure they don't burn. Allow to cool.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in a bowl, or put into a jar with lid and shake.
- Put salad ingredients together in a bowl and toss with enough dressing to just coat the salad
- Sprinkle with feta cheese if desired
Calories indicated do not include optional feta cheese.