I love a good noodle bowl. Anything noodle is pure comfort food in my books. I'm a big fan of all noodles and of Asian ones especially. Because they cook up quickly and work so well with all kinds of vegetables. It's easy to make a meal around noodles and some veggies. Noodle bowls are a healthy and quick meal, so they are a go to for when you are in a hurry, or just hungry, (or looking for a carb fix). And kids love them.
Throwing together an noodle bowl is almost as fast as those packaged bowls of instant noodles that you add hot water to. But, like, a hundred times healthier and way tastier. There are no vegetables in those, unless you count those tiny bits of dried parsley. Although they are convenient and cheap, those noodles are highly processed and contain almost zero nutrition. They contain high levels of sodium and unhealthy saturated fat. And those Styrofoam containers contain harmful BPA's as well.
In this bowl, I'm using the fresh steamed chow mien noodles that you can get in the refrigerator case, but you can use any Asian noodles, dried or fresh. Put in any veggies that you like, thinking about the cooking time it will take to get them just tender but still fresh and slightly crisp. The addition of portobello mushrooms gives this dish some “meatiness”, and packaged broccoli slaw is convenient to use.
You can also add any cooked meats, or uncooked shrimp, too, which will cook quickly along with the noodles. I have used frozen veggies in a pinch, too.
This veggie mushroom noodle bowl is a great way to get a healthy and delicious dinner on the table fast. Makes four lunch bowls, or dinner for two hungry people.
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 portobello mushroom, sliced thinly
- 1 thumb sized knob of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced into thin slivers
- 1/4 cup soy or tamari sauce
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 cups steamed fresh chow mein noodles
- 2 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup broccoli slaw, or thinly shredded cabbage
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- In a large pot, heat stock to a boil,
- Stir in mushrooms, ginger, soy, fish sauce, and vinegar. Add noodles and broccoli.
- Simmer for just a couple of minutes until noodles are just tender and broccoli is still bright green and tender crisp.
- Add broccoli slaw and spinach leaves.
- Remove from heat, stir until spinach is just wilted and serve