Breakfast Tacos are a delicious way to spice up those weekend mornings, and also work as a breakfast for dinner night. I love a perfectly poached egg. For me the whites should be completely cooked, while the yolk should be just thickened but still a little drippy.
My hubby has a special egg poaching pan that he likes to use when he's on breakfast duty. His poached eggs are always perfectly round and pretty. But me, I prefer to use a plain old skillet and plop the eggs straight in. Mostly because I really don't like having to wash and dry all of those little cups. I do admit though, that the poaching pan is handy when you are poaching a lot of eggs at once. Non Stick is the only way to go. I love poached eggs because there's no oil or grease. Having to add butter or oil defeats the purpose.
If you add a little splash of vinegar to your poaching water, the eggs won't feather out as much. If they do spread out too much, and you want to be fancy, you can trim them. Or, you can just eat them anyway. We certainly would.
These breakfast tacos are super simple to make. Who needs anything more complicated when you're hungry? The tricky part is timing. You want the tacos assembled and ready for the eggs as soon as they are cooked. Otherwise, you'll have overcooked eggs and nobody wants that.
So prep ahead and cook the bacon ahead of time to set aside. Have all your tomatoes and avocados sliced up and ready. If you have a tortilla warmer, use that, but heating the tortillas on a griddle is handy for feeding a crowd. A covered skillet over low heat works, too. Or just wrap them up in foil and put them in the oven to warm. It's also fun to get everyone in on making these, assembly line style.
These breakfast tacos with bacon, avocado, and tomato and a perfect poached egg on a corn tortilla make breakfast worth getting up for.
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 4 large eggs
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup enchilada sauce or salsa
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Wrap tortillas in foil and put into the oven for 15 minutes
- Cook bacon and set aside
- Slice tomatoes and set aside
- Add a tablespoon of vinegar to a pan with a few inches of water, enough to cover the eggs.
- Bring the water just to a boil, then reduce heat until just simmering,
- Crack the egg into a cup or small dish first, then gently lower it into the simmering water.
- Allow eggs to simmer 4 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon onto each assembled taco
- While eggs are cooking put warm tortillas onto plates
- Spread each tortilla with enchilada sauce and top with bacon, avocado and tomato slices
- Top each taco with an egg.
Leave out the bacon for a vegetarian taco.