I love experimenting with potato salads. And this Caesar Potato Salad is a delicious change from plain old potato salad. Everyone has their own signature potato salad. Some use hard cooked eggs, and some people leave them out. Some people use a mayonnaise based dressing while others prefer a vinaigrette. The same goes for celery, red onion, pickles, etc. Some recipes mash the potatoes and some leave them chunky. One friend always puts green peas in her potato salad. Strange, but true.
Growing up, my mom's potato salad was the same every time. We loved it, but it never changed. It had hard cooked eggs. The potatoes were mashed. There was celery. And it was all tossed in a mustard and mayo combination. It was how potato salad was supposed to be, as far as we were concerned. So when someone else made the potato salad and made it differently, it was, let's just say, cause for concern. Once in a while I still make that recipe, because it's good, and it brings back memories. Tradition does have it's place, after all.
But Potatoes go well with almost anything, they're like a blank slate. And this Caesar Potato Salad with bacon is perfect. Creamy Caesar dressing, crisp radishes, and Parmesan cheese are naturals with potatoes. And did I mention bacon? New potatoes are work well in potato salads because of their creamy, non starchy texture. And there's no need to peel them. Which is great, because, sometimes, having to peel potatoes takes all the fun out of them.
So, if you're looking for a little change up in your potato salad, try this one. And keep making your usual, too, because you love it. Which is the best reason.
- 2 pounds new potatoes
- 1 bunch fresh red radishes, thinly sliced
- 8-10 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Ceasar Salad Dressing
- Halve or quarter potatoes into bite sized pieces, and boil in salted water until just tender. Drain potatoes and put back into the pot over low heat while shaking, just to dry them out. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Toss potatoes with bacon pieces, radish, and parsley. Add Ceasar Salad Dressing and toss to coat.
- Refrigerate for a least a couple of hours, or overnight to incorporate the flavours.