Grilled chicken thighs are one of my favourite meals to make, any time of the year. And, the fragrance of fresh lemon and aromatic herbs always take me back to summer. Which makes me want to be in the kitchen again. I've been finding it a little hard to be inspired without my garden. Sometimes, though, being without what we wish for, can lead to creativity in the end.
My wishful memories of the summer garden are the inspiration for this Lemon, Rosemary, & Sage Grilled Chicken recipe.
For me, the chicken thighs are the most delicious part of the chicken. Chicken breasts are great for salads, and so many recipes, and of course I love the lean protein. But the thighs pack a flavour punch. And if they are boneless, and skinless, they are pretty low in fat, too. Chicken thighs remain moist and juicy for quick cooking, which makes them perfect for grilling or broiling. Or even a one pan skillet dinner, like this one that also features rosemary and lemon: Rosemary Skillet Chicken.
For me this is a barbecue recipe, but it's cold right now in so many parts of the world, and I'm doing this recipe with that in mind. You can grill these under your broiler, or, maybe you have an indoor grill, or a grill pan for the stove top. These chicken thighs are adaptable to however you want to cook them. What's important is the flavour you are making with this amazing marinade!
The fresh herbs make this recipe really perfect. However, I know that those can be hard to find at some times of the year. So I'm including the dried herb subs. If you can find fresh ones in your store, though, it will be worth it. But, this chicken is still delicious no matter what.
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
- juice and zest of two lemons
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped, or 2 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, finely chopped, or 2 tbsp dried sage
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a glass bowl or ziplock bag, combine all ingredients and let marinate overnight or for at least 4 hours in the fridge.
- Heat grill to medium high, and brush with oil.
- Drain marinade and put chicken on hot grill, cooking for about 5 minutes on each side, or until internal temperature is 180 degrees Celsius.
- Chicken should be very lightly charred on the outside, and will be moist and juicy on the inside.
- Serve with roasted vegetables and warm crusty bread for a simple delicious meal.
Prep time doesn't include marinating time.