Cherry Amaretto Ice Cream is helping us cool off today in these sweltering temperatures. Let me tell ya, I adore my ice cream maker. When we need ice cream, (yes, need), we have some in 30 minutes. No going out.
And the best part is, we know exactly what's in it. Which isn't much. For the most part, just cream, sugar and fruit or maybe some vanilla or cocoa. Because really, those are all you need for delicious cool treats. But, you would never know it when you read the ingredient labels on so many store bought brands.
Here's the list of ingredients on a premium brand of “frozen dairy dessert” : milk, sugar, corn syrup, cream, whey, mono and diglycerides, carob bean gum, guar gum, carrageenan, natural flavor, annatto (for color), vitamin A palmitate, tara gum. Check out this NYT article: Ice Cream's Identity Crisis, for an eye opener, and a laugh, too. The milk and sugar, yes. But there's more corn syrup in there than cream! And all the rest of those ingredients? Get outta my ice cream. I don't want me or my family to eat any of that stuff.
Buying an ice cream machine was a good investment, too. It's paid for itself many times over, because, have you seen the price of store bought “frozen desserts”? Do you have an ice cream machine? If you do, I would love to hear how it works for you. We have this one and we love it.
You can make this Cherry Amaretto Ice Cream easily without a machine, too. However, you will just have to wait a whole lot longer to enjoy it while your freezer does it's job. Just make the recipe and pour into a freezer safe container. Put it into the freezer, and every couple of hours, go give it a good stir. Eventually, you'll get your ice cream. But it's ok, the wait is worthwhile.
Fresh local cherries have started to make their appearance, and I couldn't wait to get some. They are super sweet and delicious just to snack on, and also in this ice cream. Amaretto, being an almond liqueur, is perfect, since almonds and cherries are a perfect flavour match for each other.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Amaretto, or any almond liqueur
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups fresh, ripe cherries, sliced
- In a mixing bow,l combine milk, cream, sugar, vanilla extract, and Amaretto.
- With a hand blender on low setting, blend until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Pour the cream mixture into the bowl of an ice cream machine.
- Run machine for 25 minutes.
- Turn machine off, and add cherries and their juice.
- Run machine for a further 5 minutes, until cherries are combined and ice cream is slightly pink.
- Serve immediately for a soft serve ice cream, or put into a freezer safe container with a lid and freeze.
*This post contains an affiliate link. If you click on it and end up buying the product, I will receive a small commission. Which helps me with the costs of running The Food Blog and sharing great recipes with you. I only endorse products that I use and love, and truly want to share with you.