Coconut Shrimp Tacos are what’s happening right now in this kitchen. Because I just brought home some lovely fresh shrimp from a local seafood shop. A place that sells only sustainable, oceanwise seafood. I had to buy some of these fresh beauties as soon as I saw them sitting sweetly there, on their bed of ice.
When you bring home fresh shrimp, you just gotta use it right away. There’s no wasting time. So we grilled some of these up on the barbecue, and the rest became coconut shrimp tacos, just in time for Taco Tuesday. Really, it wasn’t Tuesday, I have to say. But whatever, who needs for it to be Tuesday for tacos? Not in my house.
I happened to have coconut flour in the pantry. Using coconut flour in your breading station really amps up the coconut taste, but it is a little harder to work with. Coconut flour has a lot of moisture, so the breading process can be a little goopy. That’s why it’s really important to pat the shrimp as dry as possible with paper towels before they go into the flour.
I like to set up a breading station lining right up to the skillet; flour, then beaten egg, and then panko; all in a row. I used large bowls for this recipe because then you can toss all the shrimp at once, with the flour, then in the egg, and finally in the crumbs.
The shrimp cook up quickly in coconut oil for even more coconut flavour. Serve them hot on warm tortillas with sriracha mayonnaise, salsa verde, avocado, lime wedges for squeezing and any other fixings you like. Taco any day is our kind of day.! And these coconut shrimp tacos are equally delicious with Mango Avocado Salsa. Serves 4
- *Coconut Shrimp
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- zest of one lime
- 1 lb fresh shrimp, shelled, deveined and tails removed (or frozen and defrosted)
- *Sriracha Mayo
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sriracha hot sauce, or more to taste
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 8 flour tortillas, warmed on a grill or in the oven wrapped in foil
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeno peppers
- 1/4 cup green salsa, or salsa verde (or any salsa)
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Prep all of your taco toppings; avocado, tomato, cilantro, limes, and whatever else you want to add, so that they are ready when the shrimp are ready.
- Mix mayo, sriracha and lime juice and put in fridge
- Set up your breading station; put coconut flour in a large bowl, beat eggs in another large bowl, and put panko crumbs along with chile flakes and lime zest into another large bowl and combine. Heat a large skillet over medium heat with the coconut oil.
- Pat shrimp as dry as possible with paper towel or a clean kitchen towel. Put shrimp into the coconut flour and toss until coated. Transfer shrimp to the egg, and toss again until well coated. Transfer to the panko mixture and toss and press until coated again. (These shrimps will have three coats).
- Wth tongs, transfer coated shrimp to your heated coconut oil in batches, enough to cover the pan with breathing room between the shrimp. (shrimps need Line a plate with paper towel. Cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes before turning and cook for another 2 minutes. Keep a close eye on the, and monitor your heat level; if you see overly browned bits of panko, try turning down the heat for the next batch, or removing the pan from the heat for a minute. Your Shrimp should be a crunchy golden brown. Transfer to paper towel lined plate, and continue with the next batch until all shrimp are perfectly golden.
- While shrimps are cooking, warm tortillas over a grill or in the oven.
- Assemble your yummy, crispy, golden coconut shrimp tacos, on top of warm tortillas spread with sriracha mayo, then top with all your fixings and enjoy. Happy Taco Tuesday!