The real Chicken Parmesan (Parmigiana) is an amazingly delicious dish that requires us to first bread, and then brown the chicken before transferring to a baking dish to bake in a lovely tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese.
I love the real thing. If an Italian chef would come to my house and make it once a week I would be in for that. But, then I would also need a personal trainer to get my butt moving so that I could work off all the (delicious, worth every bite) calories.
I love Chicken Parmesan. So much that I usually order it when we go out to Italian restaurants. And I have re-created it before in my kitchen. But I was looking to make a quick and easy one pan, week day dinner. That gave me that delicious satisfaction of a chicken parmigiana. But one that we can put together quickly, and without too much fuss. This dish is a perfect answer. You get the rich and cheesy taste of Chicken Parmesan. But, without the effort, clean up, or calories as the real thing.
This version is a scaled down chicken Parmesan, all cooked in one skillet. So, I'm taking a few shortcuts. Like, I'm not breading the chicken. You know what though, it's still crazy delicious and, the bonus is, that you can throw it together quickly. And I'm adding fresh spinach to give it some extra nutrient kick.
A key way to make sure that your chicken breasts cook quickly and evenly, is to pound them so that they are all the same thickness. Put them in a zip lock bag on a cutting board, and use the flat end of a meat mallet to pound them all to about a one inch thickness.
Have some steamed broccoli or green beans on the side for a perfect dinner. And then be in Chicken Parmesan heaven. You will love this, I promise.
- Three boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, pounded to one inch thick
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt & pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 5.5 ounce can no salt added tomato paste
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat an oven proof skillet over medium high heat with oil
- Season Chicken Breasts with salt & pepper on each side.
- Put chicken breasts, laid flat, in a zip lock bag, with air expressed, and zipped up.
- Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound chicken breasts to an even thickness, starting in the thickest parts and working out. Pound to about a one inch even thickness
- Open ziplock bag and add flour. close up again and shake bag to coat chicken breasts.
- In a bowl, whisk together diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and basil
- Transfer chicken breasts to the heated skillet. Sear on each side for 2-3 minutes until crusty and golden on either side. Turn heat off skillet. Distribute spinach leaves over the chicken. Pour tomato mixture over the chicken.
- Evenly divide Parmesan cheese over each chicken breast.
- Put the skillet in center of oven and bake for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, and cheese is melted and golden.
- Serve with hot pasta