Quesadillas are super versatile and easy to throw together for a quick and healthy meal. You can pretty much put anything you can think of, into a tortilla. And quesadillas are perfect for when you haven't shopped and don't know what you're going to do about dinner. I made these ones with some pantry staples. Because, it was one of those times.
Quesadillas are a nice change from grilled cheese and just as quick to whip up. These roasted red pepper & jalapeno quesadillas happened because of what I had available in my fridge and pantry. They are also a great solution for using leftovers, too. I keep lots of tortillas in the freezer, so we are never at a loss for a quick meal.
You could roast your own peppers, but this recipe is all about convenience. So I used roasted red peppers that come in a jar, which I always like to keep on hand. Same with the jalapeno; I'm using the pickled jalapeno that you use on nachos.
I happened to have some smoked Gouda cheese in the fridge, but any cheese will work. And re fried black beans from a can made our quesadillas complete. If you're just making a couple of quesadillas, you can use a non stick or cast iron skillet, but if you want to make a lot, a griddle works great, as does a panini grill. How easy is it to heat a pan, put some yummy stuff on a flour tortilla, fold it over, and grill to melted cheese filled, crisp perfection? Very. Considering that this was dinner in a pinch.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 14 oz (398 ml) can re fried black beans
- 2 cups shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1 16 oz (500 ml) jar roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry with paper towel
- 1 7 oz (200 ml) can pickled, sliced jalapeno
- Heat a large, lightly oiled skillet over medium heat.
- Spread beans over half of each tortilla, then roasted pepper, jalapeno and cheese.
- Fold the ungarnished side over the filled side, pressing down lightly.
- Cook 2 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted and both sides are toasted.
- Remove from heat and cut each quesadilla in half. (a pizza wheel works great for this)
- Serve with salsa.
*This post contains an affiliate link. If you click on it and end up buying the product, I will receive a small commission. Which helps a little with the costs of running The Food Blog, so that I can keep sharing awesome recipes with you. I only endorse products that I use and love myself.