Salmon Quesadillas are a great way to use leftover salmon. Quesadillas, in general, are one of my favourite quick meals for using leftover anything. Or even, when really time crunched, exhausted, or lazy, just cheese melted and toasted between two tortillas. To me, the quesadilla is so much better than a grilled cheese. I like the crispness of grilled, or pan fried tortillas with melted cheese between them. And salsa on the side. That's what I make when I'm hungry and by myself and have nobody else to feed.
It's a simple and easy, plus delicious, way to fill up. And the great thing is, you can put just about anything between those tortillas, along with the cheese. Quesadillas will always be a go to for me. I don't normally think of salmon when I do quesadillas, though. I especially have always kept salmon away from cheese. And I am, as you have probably learned by hanging out here, a huge fan of salmon. I love cheese, too, who doesn't? But, salmon and cheese in the same dish have always been pretty much taboo for me.
But I had this amazing leftover grilled sockeye salmon. And I had tortillas. And I was hungry. Hangry, in fact. And you can't make quesadillas without cheese. Because, then, how do the tortillas hold the filling together? So I had this monterey cheese hanging out in the fridge, and just decided to wing it with a sriracha sauce on the salmon and a little cheese to make those quesadillas. And guess, what, it was good. Seriously. So good.
I grabbed some fresh cilantro from my garden. (Cilantro haters, skip this step and get some parsley). Squeezed a fresh lime into a bowl and added a couple of squirts of sriracha hot sauce, then chopped up the cilantro and added that. Tossed the cooked salmon in there. (You can do this with canned salmon, too, by the way). And then grilled that up between two cheese filled tortillas.
I'm still not a believer of cheese with fish, but there are always exceptions. And these salmon quesadillas are one.
- 12 oz cooked salmon
- 3 tbsp sriracha hot sauce
- juice of one lime
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 cup monterey cheese, grated
- 8 6" flour tortillas
- In a bowl, combine salmon, lime juice, sriracha, and cilantro / parsley
- Heat grill to medium high and oil lightly with cooking spray
- Place four of the tortillas on the grill and divide half the cheese evenly over each
- Divide the salmon mixture evenly over each tortilla.
- Divide the remaining cheese over the salmon on each tortilla
- Top each with the remaining tortillas
- Grill until the bottom tortilla is crisp and cheese is melted
- Carefully flip each tortilla and grill the other side as above
- Remove from heat, cut into halves or wedges and serve hot with salsa
*This post contains an affiliate link. If you click on it and end up making a purchase, I will receive a small commission. Which helps a little with the costs of running The Food Blog, so that I can keep sharing great recipes with you.