This Sweet Potato Quinoa Chickpea Salad is a definitely a super salad. It's incredibly nutritious, but just as importantly, it's also super tasty. Creamy roasted sweet potato chunks with nutty quinoa and the crunch of peppers and seeds make a delicious combination. Because, if it isn't delicious, it doesn't matter how healthy it is. Nobody's gonna eat it
This salad bowl is protein packed, too. Quinoa supplies a complete source of protein, besides being a great source of folate and iron. All that protein makes this sumptuous salad hearty and filling, fit to stand alone as a meal in itself.
With so many ingredients in one salad, there's a little bit of prep work. But this is a big salad and it's worth it.
All of the other ingredients here; sweet potato, carrots, red peppers, spinach and seeds, are also nutritional superstars. This is a bowl full of vitamins, minerals, protein and fibre, along with all kinds of antioxidants.
With so much healthy in one bowl, it's a good thing it's so satisfying and tasty, too. And here's another bonus; this sweet potato quinoa chickpea salad keeps very well in the fridge, making an excellent make ahead option for healthy grab and go lunches. A bowl of this delicious and nourishing salad is perfect for refueling after a workout.
You can add some feta cheese before serving, but without it, this salad is vegan and gluten free.
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup quinoa + 3/4 cup water
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and diced
- 1 cup spinach leaves, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° Poke sweet potato all over with a fork, and bake on rack in centre of oven about 25 minutes or until you can pierce with a knife. Allow to cool.
- Remove skin from sweet potato and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Add quinoa and water to a pot, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook 15 minutes until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Toss all salad ingredients together in a large bow.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients. Add dressing to salad and toss everything together.
Recipe adapted from Whitewater Cooks, by Shelley Adams
*This post contains an affiliate link. If you click on it and end up purchasing the product, I will receive a small commission. Which helps a little with the costs of running The Food Blog, so that I can keep sharing great recipes with you.