Sweet Potato Soup is one of my favourite one pot comfort foods. In fact, soup is one of our favourite things to eat, period. To me, there's nothing more satisfying than a big pot of homemade soup simmering on the stove. Because soup is so easy to make. Basically, you can really just throw everything in a pot and let it simmer while you do other things. Or do nothing if you're feeling lazy. And then, there's lunch. Or dinner, because this soup is satisfying, as well as delicious.
This sweet potato soup with black beans and corn has a southwestern slant with the addition of a chipotle pepper and a little bit of the smoky adobo sauce the peppers are packed in. The small cans actually contain quite a few peppers, but will keep in the fridge in a covered container for several weeks. Then you can use the leftover chilies in another recipe, like this Tequila Chicken Chilli. If you want less heat, remove the seeds from the chili, before adding it to the soup. Keep them if you like it spicier, or, add another chili.
I like to grill an ear of fresh corn for this recipe. A little bit of smoky char really adds a very tasty flavour element, but if you don't have fresh corn, frozen will work, too. This soup is not only delicious, but also healthy, vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free.The black beans make this sweet potato soup a hearty meal.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- juice of one lime
- 3 orange fleshed sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (four cups)
- kernels from 1 ear of fresh corn, grilled (about 1 cup)
- 1 chipotle pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tbsp adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp cumin
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, carrots and celery.
- Turn heat to medium low and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except cilantro.
- Simmer 15 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with cilantro.