These Peach Whisky Chicken Kebabs are a truly summertime meal. Fresh ripe local peaches, and grilling are summer essentials, for me. And as usual, I find myself with a lot of peaches. Way too many, in fact. So besides eating them as is, I'm trying to use them up. They won't fit in my fridge, so using them up until they do is a necessity.
Where I live, orchardists have been growing peaches since the 1800's. The climate here is prime for peach growing, and the harvest starts in mid July and ends in late August. There are many varieties of peaches, way too many to list. If you're interested though, or, are just interested in exploring this beautiful little corner of this world, check out Okanagan Peach Varieties
All of the peach varieties fall under Freestone or Cling varieties. Just like it sounds, the flesh of a freestone peach easily separates from its stone, while a cling is more difficult. Cling peaches are perfect for eating fresh, and many of them are very sweet and juicy. But for recipes, canning and preserves, I like the ease of using freestones. So, if you plan to make these yummy kebabs, look for freestones.
Like so many stone fruits, peaches are delicious when grilled. They also love to be paired with bourbon. Bourbon and peaches have a long and delicious history. And tempering their peachy sweetness with a hint of spice is always a delicious idea. That was the plan when I thought about these kebabs. Threading dinner onto sticks is always a fun way to cook it, too. Keep in mind, peaches are a soft, delicate fruit, and will go mushy if cooked for too long. So this recipe is using boneless, skinless chicken breast, which cooks up fairly quickly.
One thing I love about these peach whisky chicken kebabs is that you can marinate, and make them ahead, then throw them on the grill for entertaining. While you hang out with your guests instead of in the kitchen. Because, really, that's the other thing summer is all about right? Serve with a fresh garden salad.
Grilled Peach Whiskey Chicken kebabs make a simple, but flavour packed summer meal.
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded, cored and minced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, for the grill
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2" cubes
- 2 ripe peaches, pit removed and cut into 2" cubes
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into 2" pieces
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- In a bowl, whisk together bourbon, maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and jalapeno
- Put chicken cubes in a zip lock bag, and pour marinade over, making sure the chicken is covered
- Refrigerate overnight or at least 4 hours
- Remove chicken, discarding marinade
- Heat grill to medium high, and spray with cooking spray or brush lightly with oil
- On wooden skewers, thread chicken cubes, peach, and onion pieces, alternating
- Grill 8-10 minutes, turning occassionally
- Remove from grill and sprinkle with thyme leaves before serving
Cook time is approximate and will vary depending on your grill. Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 170°
To prevent burning, soak wooden skewers in hot water for 10-15 minutes before threading with ingredients.
Prep time does not include marinating time.
*This post may contain affiliate links. This means, If you click on the link and end up buying the product, I will receive a small commission. Which helps a little with the costs of running The Food Blog, so that I can keep sharing awesome recipes with you. I only endorse products that I use and love myself, and there is no extra cost to you.